Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Where to next?
It's finally time for me to start thinking seriously about where I will go next on my journey. Though I'm due in Dublin on the ides of March, I have no concrete plans before then. I had for a while been thinking of spending the long weekend in Amboise exploring the chateaux of the Loire Valley, then heading to Naples, but I've since changed my mind. I first decided that I had really seen enough castles, art and tourist attractions, and the marginal benefit of a few more castles would be negligible. I was then explicitly warned, by several people, that going to Naples, especially as a single woman, was an extremely dangerous proposition. I'm now reading the book Gommorah, and can confirm that I do not, in fact, want to go to Naples. So, with money in my pocket, empty pages in my passport, and a million places I long to see, where next? I'm pretty sure I'd like to spend some time in Italy, and I have a friend in Bologna I might visit if things work out. But I'm not sold on anything yet. I have my apartment in Paris until Sunday, then a full week to go wherever I want. Any suggestions?