Sunday, March 1, 2009

First Sunday

Today is the first Sunday of the month, which means everything in Paris is free for everyone! I'm taking advantage of this by touring the towers and the crypt at Notre Dame, which are normally €7 apiece, and walking around the Louvre the rest of the day. The crowds are kind of outrageous, but my money is worth more than my time at this point in my life, so I don't mind too much. I realized as I was exploring the belfry with it's 14-ton bronze bells, that Hugo's Hunchback of Notre Dame took place in February, at Carnival. I could suddenly appreciate the sad, chilly life of being a bellringer I'm these windy, wooden rafters. I'm glad I've been building my strength by having to climb up to my seventh floor apartment everyday - it made the 384 steps to the top of the Cathedral much more manageable!